When we were expecting both of the boys, we spent much time working on their names. It was very important to us that they have names from their heritage. We tell them all of the time what their name means and about the men that hold those names. This Christmas, Justin's Aunt Carol gave us a frame with the name of the boys and the meanings of their names. It is amazing to me that they completely match the boy's personality.
We picked Cole for my Dad. We wanted Dad's last name (Colson) to keep going. Dorsey is for Justin's great uncle that had no children. Aunt Carol found the meaning for Cole to be "Peaceloving" and Dorsey is "Free in the Lord." How true of our Cole Dorsey. He has such a free spirit and is very giving of his love. With the meanings, Carol gave scripture to go with their names.
"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves..." Matthew 10:16
"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." John 8:36
I hope that he always finds the freedom that only comes from the Lord.
We picked Jaxon for two reasons. First for Jack Hood (Justin's maternal grandfather) and second for the last part of Colson. Andrew is for T.A. (Justin's grandfather). Aunt Carol found the meaning of Jaxon to be "Following after the Lord" and for Andrew "Strong and Manly."
That is a great description of our Jaxon Andrew.
"The Lord is my rock...my strength in whom I will trust." Psalm 18:2
"Be strong and of a good courage;...the Lord thy God is with thee..." Joshua 1:9
I hope his strength will always be fruitful for the Lord.
With these kind of names the boys have a lot to live up to. My prayer is for them to own their names and for me to only be a guide for their hearts to be exactly who God has called them to be. I hope I never get in the way of the good work God has begun in them.
No comments:
Post a Comment